Harry Wolff

You can't escape my laugh.

Life as an Unemployed College Graduate

Life is all sorts of slow right now. Ever since I finished my college degree I’ve been reveling in the glow of unemployment and pet-projects. It’s a glow that doesn’t waver, however it was never all too bright to begin with.

Just a week after I clocked my final hour of undergraduate learning I took a vacation up to Boston to visit my brother and friends. It was a great trip, one that I remember more fondly as time passes. The most memorable event of the three nights I spent there was undoubtedly the unbearable heat. Every night there I would wake up at least once in a full-bodied sweat. Upon reflection it was one of the most cost-efficient saunas I have ever purchased. Save on air conditioning, embrace the heat, clear your pores.

Coming back from Boston I hit a bit of culture-shock. I didn’t realize how fully I had re-embraced Boston life. It easily took me a full day to readjust to the dull-hum of suburban life. It’s horribly dull, this suburban life.

Yet it was short lived for three short days later I was traveling again, this time to Toronto. This was my first time in Toronto, and my second in Canada. The experience driving up was tame fun, punctuated by a ten-minute period of torrential rains. Aside from those moments of acute terror nothing horribly eventful occurred.

Crossing the border into Canada was painless and relatively quick. Arriving at our hotel, the Drake, was just as painless. The two nights of hijinks spent in the bohemian area of Toronto weren’t as pleasant to recover from. After the first night we quickly learned to preclude our night in a wholesale environment so as to not deplete our piggy banks as rapidly. We learnt quickly and it paid in spades. Although next-morning’s cup of green tea could not have come soon enough.

The journey back from Toronto, for me, was an interesting test of endurance. It is a 500 mile drive from Toronto to my town, one that I shared on the drive up. On the way back I was the sole driver, tallying up 500 miles and 10 hours to my name.

The way back was full of mini-adventures and highlights. The first of which was when we came across a wind farm. When we saw our first wind turbine off in the distance, we all began to chatter with excitement. As we drove forward, the wind turbines grew in stature and our excitement was positively bubbling everywhere. However, the excitement we shared for the wind farm was no match to what came next.

Driving through the middle of New York we happened upon an area that had just been hit by a large storm. As we are all aware, what usually comes after a large storm are rainbows - and rainbows are beautiful pieces of natural phenomenon.

Shortly we saw our first glimmer of a rainbow, a prism of light coloring the otherwise bleak sky. We all crowed with excitement. Then we saw another rainbow, this time a little larger. And then another, each time our excitement growing. Rainbows aside, what was fresh on all our minds was the recently viral Double Rainbow video. If you haven’t seen it yet I urge you to do so now.

The apex of our excitement came when we witnessed our own double rainbow, arching across the sky, majestic, beautiful, and magical. Word’s can’t capture the emotions elicited from witnessing such a structure first-hand. So I won’t try.

Arriving home from Toronto and our exciting drive took me a full four days of rest and sleep to recover from. I can safely say that I find myself recovered, and can resume the mundanity of looking for a job.

And this is where I leave you now: writing from my local library, enjoying the hum of the air conditioner unit above my head. I have a few projects in the works that I’ll share soon, but for now, if you haven’t been outside recently, I encourage you to do so. Summer will only last so long.